Sunday, March 27, 2011

Western Cape Getaway Show

Yesterday, we went to a trade show held at a wine estate.  For an off-road enthusiast like myself, the equipment being shown outside the large tents was by far the best part.  I especially enjoyed the neat little tent trailers.  My guess is that since the geezers who can afford toys in South Africa can't buy a Ford F-350 to haul a fifth wheel they invest in these little trailers that can be pulled by a Ford Ranger. Here these little trucks are considered a large bakkie (truck).  They use them in every role a full size truck would be used back home.  Everything from serving as a tow truck to a dump truck.  The trailers seem rugged yet refined and well designed.  Everything you will need for a luxury outing in your 4X4 has been thought of.  They even have places to store your wine glasses.  I definitely want to buy one of these trailers and take one back to Arizona when we decide to move back.

I even started looking at off-road vehicles again.  I currently have my sights set on a Defender 110 which is kitted out for a Cape Town to Cairo trip.  An American came down, bought his Land Rover got it ready for the trip and decided not to go.  I think recent events in Egypt might have played a role.  He is asking R 95 000 (~13,000).  For this I would have room for four or five, a roof top tent, freezer, refrigerator, roof rack, two jerry cans, bull bar, kitchen, a newly overhauled diesel engine, and a power inverter with enough wattage to power a television (why would I need a television?).  If I can get a car loan for a private party sale, I just might buy it. Pictures of this vehicle can be seen at the following link.  I'm also looking for Jeep Wranglers, I really treated my last one horribly and it refused to die.  Now that they come in a four door version, my wife is even open to the idea.  I'm also intrigued with the diesel engine option we can get over here.  I always wanted to do an engine conversion on my old jeep, and diesel was one of the options I was thinking about.  The only problem with the Jeep idea is that I can't find a used one which is reasonably priced.  I guess the brand name adds a few extra thousand Rand.

No comments:

Post a Comment