Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Today's Run

Today was a holiday called "Freedom Day" here in South Africa.  I still went to work but observed the holiday by taking a break and going on a run around campus.  I think I might start posting some of the routes using a web/smart phone based program I use called MapMyFITNESS.  Figure 1 provides a neat fly over of the route I took.  If you play Figure 1, I started my run at UCT and ran to a monument called Rhodes Memorial.  From there I took a trail down a ravine.  In figure two you should see a decrease in elevation.  This decrease in elevation is me running down that ravine.  Once I was done with that descent, I headed north towards the city bowl.   At around mile 1 there is a clearing to the right where I saw some zebras.  Once I reached the top of the next ascent I could see the bay and the Eastern portion of the city bowl.  I then started my return to UCT by heading back towards Rhodes Memorial and finally back to UCT.  The run was a bit challenging due to the steep inclines.  As you can see in Figure 3, my heart rate was high despite my 13 minute per mile pace.   

Figure 1.  Map of the route.



I'm also going to include the results of my heart rate monitor and elevation/climb information from the MapMyFitness website.
Figure 2.  Changes in elevation.

Figure 3.  Heart rate data.

No comments:

Post a Comment