Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Big Move

My last three days in the United States were hectic.  My wife and I had a very long list of things to do and we had a hard deadline.  During those last three days I slept a total of probably 8 to12 hours and we worked almost every hour which did not involve sleeping.  My wife even had an unplanned dental visit the day before we flew.  My wife was an amazing taskmaster.  She made a long list of things we would like to have done before we leave and she was intent on crossing everyone of those off her list  In the end we did not accomplish that goal but we came close.  We had new carpet installed, I finished a doorway (everything from fitting the doors, to fabricating and installing the threshold to sanding, staining and varnishing the doors), re-laying tiles on our kitchen sink, fixing two other doors, cleaning, packing last minute stuff, cutting cable, buying South African Rand, delivering our vehicles to the new owners, and a few pages of other things to include a valentine's dinner at Kingfisher, our favorite restaurant in Tucson. Those three days sucked so much that I was looking forward to the 28 hour travel time we had ahead of us.  In the end I think all the suck was worth it.  My wife, I, and our dogs all arrived safe.  We like our little house despite the many little flaws, and in spite of having to run around town for completing the simplest task are starting to really enjoy the city for its natural beauty and some of the friendly people we have met so far.   Below is a picture of the view in front of our house.


2 comments:

  1. I cant wait to see more of the city, your house, and your adventure. Serious. Everything you are doing is so interesting to someone living in CA. Share Share Share! Lots of pictures too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will try and keep it up. Posting pictures is a bit difficult down here. We don't have reliable unlimited internet. We have to purchase internet by the megabyte and one picture can take approximately 15 minutes to upload. I once heard someone say that 1 minute waiting for something to be done by your computer feels like ten minutes sitting on hot coals. Needless to say this long wait can be excruciating. Hoping we can get ADSL next week.

    ReplyDelete