Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Mama Cried

Yesterday, when I told my mom that Sunday would be the day we take the dogs to the airport, she began to cry.  She told me that if Reeses, our dachshund, were to die in Africa that I should bring home her ashes.  Interestingly, she has shown no emotion about me leaving.  When I told her about this job, she didn't even blink.  All she has said is "allá tú es tu negocio"; roughly translated all she has said is, its your business.  I'm really going to miss being able to drop everything I'm doing to go help my mom or my sisters when they need it.  I feel like I'll be on the other side of the world and helpless.   

4 comments:

  1. Well, everyone is already missing you guys and you just left today.

    I experienced the internal struggle with not being able to be there for my family at a moment's notice too. It was HARD, I won't lie. But it also has been an exercise in learning how important family and community are, and also how big of a role those things will play in future decisions (where to live, etc.). It sounds like you already have those things figured out though, so if I can say anything I guess it's that this adventure in Africa will be the first step toward those long-term goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can totally say that mom's comment is just her! She is not one to show emotion.... she always says.... "I am not crying for you, I am crying for Gabriella" so yeah, don't take it personal.... You know she misses you guys! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that was her way of saying I'm really gonna miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mariza and Michelle- It was typical mom and I appreciated her round about way to say she will miss me and that's she is worried. If she would have told me directly, I would have thought she was faking it.

    ReplyDelete