Sunday, May 15, 2011

Newlands Forest

Went on a 8.5 km run this morning (according to my phone's GPS which sucks).  I started around UCT and ran up to Rhodes Memorial, followed a trail south and ran into Newlands Forest (map of trails below). 
Fell in love with all the trails and thoroughly enjoyed the mist which persisted all morning (see picture below).  I saw all kinds of dogs on these trails and had a moment of inspiration.  When I came home I convinced my wife that we should go later and take the dogs. 


I was so excited that when packing up the dogs and the gear we took I had a little SNAFU (an acronym I learned in the military which stands for, Situation Normal All F&**#$d Up).  After I made sure the girls (Etta and Reeses) were in the car I closed the door with the keys inside.  I didn't know that the car we are using automatically locks the doors if it detects the keys are inside the cabin.  I don't understand why this design option is useful.   After the SNAFU was fixed by the owner of the vehicle we were off on our first adventure as a family.  I was so proud of Etta our big (~10 year old 50 kilograms rottweiler bernese mountain dog mix).  We walked a long way and she didn't complain one bit.  We also experimented with having both of them off the leash and they performed well.  I was proud of them.  Below is a picture of Reeses on a tree stump.  We tried to take a picture of Etta with a foot long drool but didn't quite get it. Be sure to check my wife's blog for her take on how the day went.  I'm sure she will have a different perceptive. 

3 comments:

  1. Fun hike with the doggies. The mists of Newlands Forest are beautiful! thank for sharing pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous photos and what a cute pup!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really nice to bring dogs when you have adventure in the forest.

    ReplyDelete